Have you been unemployed or lost work due to COVID-19?

Larimer County and the State of Colorado have Emergency Rent and Utility Assistance (ERAP) funds that can help people stay in their homes by paying back rent and utilities, and more.  Certain eligibility must be met to receive payments. We are partnering with Neighbor to Neighbor for this assistance program; apply online with Neighbor to Neighbor or call them at 970-829-0296.

Landlords: The Property Owners Program (POP) that was offered in 2020 has expired. Please use ERAP for rent assistance on behalf of your tenants.

Read on for more information.

  • Larimer County residents (with or without citizenship)
  • The tenant was unable to pay the property rent or mobile home lot rent because the tenant experienced financial need due to COVID-19.
  • The tenant's household monthly income is at or below 80% Area Median Income (learn more about Larimer County AMI).
  • You (property owner and/or tenant) have not already received rental assistance that covered the tenant's rent for the months requested.
  • You complete the application for assistance and provide all the needed documentation.
  • Property owners or tenants may apply for funds. Tenants can apply for utility payments
  • Identification/government issued ID for primary applicant
  • Executed rental lease signed by both tenant and landlord or other written document which names applicant as tenant of the property, rent amount and due date.
  • Income information showing applicant name and address
  • Current utility bill or other official business mail addressed to applicant at the address
  • If applicable, notice to evict or other document from the landlord that states you will lose your housing. This is not required, but it is used to prioritize applications.
  • Unemployment benefits letter and/or unemployment benefits statement(s), if you are collecting unemployment. (Not required, but is used to prioritize applications.)
  • Income documentation for all household members 18 years of age or above and children who have income. You only need ONE of the options below.
    • Option 1: 2020 tax return(s): You will be expected to provide the “adjusted gross income,” and upload the first four pages of the signed tax return(s) and the W-2s. If your household members file separately, you will have to upload the return and W-2 for each person who files.
    • Option 2: One month’s income documentation for the month prior to the date of application. Documentation may include one or more of the following:
      • All pay stubs or pay summary for the previous 30 days,
      • Current unemployment benefits letter including gross benefit amount,
      • Current letter from your employer verifying gross wages (pay rate, hours/week, pay date.)
      • Current year social security, disability letter, retirement, pension, or annuity letter. Letter of benefits must include benefit amount.
      • Certification of income form for self-employed.
      • Ledger showing income for gig workers.
    • Additional information if your household is receiving TANF, Colorado Works, SNAP, LEAP, provide a letter or documentation of that program eligibility within the last 12 months. OR, If you are living in a rent-restricted property, you or your landlord can provide evidence of your income certification, as long as it is within the last 12 months. Other forms of documentation may be acceptable if you do not have one of the above. Contact the program for assistance at 1-888-480-0066 or COERAP@state.co.us.
  • You will be asked to verify that at least one member of your household experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • You will be asked to demonstrate that at least one member of your household is at risk for homelessness or housing instability.
  • You will be asked to read and sign promising that everything you provide is true and that you have not already received assistance for the same months for which you are now requesting assistance.

You may request assistance for past-due rent for all months at your current residence. 

Once your application has been submitted, a Neighbor to Neighbor navigator will review your application and documents to ensure you are eligible. They may follow up with you for more information or process your request.  

No, the Emergency Rent Assistance funds are from the U.S. government and are meant to help individuals and families stay in their homes and avoid eviction, by paying property owners any rent that the tenant was unable to pay because they had financial difficulties due to COVID 19. Utility payments can also be covered in these funds – so if you haven’t been able to pay your electric or natural gas bill since July 2020, these funds can clear your account balance.

Yes, the funds are available through December 2023. By applying early, you are more likely to receive funds as we will run out of money.


How Do I Learn More?

Call Neighbor to Neighbor (Habla Espanol): 970-829-0296

Ready to apply? Visit the ERAP application portal, create an account, and submit your information. Apply Now!