• This requires a vesting deed. Examples include: General Warranty Deed,  Special Warranty Deed, or Quitclaim Deed.
    • Fill out the deed and then sign the deed with a notary present.
    • Once completed, the deed will need to be recorded at the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder's Office at 200 W Oak St, Fort Collins.
    • Recording fees are applicable - please visit Recording Fee Schedule.
    1. Sole Ownership: This may require going through probate. Helpful resources are available here.
    2. Property with Joint Tenancy/or has a Beneficiary Deed: Record the Death Certificate with the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder Office at 200 W Oak, Fort Collins. Recording fees will apply. Please note that all documents recorded can be viewed by the public.
    3. Tenancy In Common: This may require going through probate. Helpful resources are available here.
  1. A vesting deed is the amount of protection the Grantor (Seller) gives to the Grantee (Buyer) on the title warranties.

    To find information about common deed types in Colorado, conduct an internet search 'common deed types in Colorado'. There are numerous reputable resources available. 

  2. You can purchase a vesting deed at most office supply stores, online, or by contacting an attorney.

  3. Elements of a Deed was created by the Colorado Division of Property Taxation as a training tool and has been provided with their permission. Please note that this document is informational only and is not to be considered or intended as legal advice. Please consult an attorney or real estate advisor for any deed-specific questions.

    1. Sole Ownership: One person owns the property and holds all the rights to the real property. Usually referred as “In Severalty” on a Vesting Deed. 
    2. Tenants in Common: Two or more people own a percentage of undivided interest in the real property. They have the rights to their respective interest in the property. The percentage of interest in the property is not required to be evenly split, but together with the other owners' percentage, the total must equal 100% in ownership of  the real property.
    3. Joint Tenants: Two or more people own the property with equal rights as the other owners. The property will transfer to the surviving owners if one should pass away.

    For additional information, see the brochure on Joint Tenancy/Tenancy in Common provided by the Colorado Bar Association.

    • The Real Property Transfer Declaration is used when the sale on a home is over $500.00.
    • Click here and select Real Estate Broker Mandatory Contracts and Formsscroll down to Optional Forms to find instructions and the TD-1000 form. 
    • For mobile/manufactured homes, the transfer declaration can be found here at the bottom of the page in the ‘Manufactured Homes Forms’ section.
  4. Corrections can be made to the Transfer Declaration. Mail or email the form to the Larimer County Assessor's Office at LCAssessor@larimer.org

  5. Access the Change Address Form here (the button is located at the top of the page). Please complete, sign, and mail or email to LCAssessor@larimer.org

  6. Please consult with a licensed surveyor.

    Click here for a list of State Board Licensed Land Surveyors. Select Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors from the list of agencies.

  7. Our maps serve as a visual representation of the property lines and are not survey-quality. For more information on your property line please contact a licensed surveyor. Select Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors from the list of agencies.

  8. This process may require consulting a Real Estate Property Lawyer, a licensed surveyor and/or the Planning, Zoning and Building Departments at the City and/or County. 

  9. Recording fee information can be found at the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder’s Office. 

  10. Larimer County does not provide forms for legal or recording purposes. For additional forms, please contact the appropriate state agency or inquire about access to legal forms at your local library.

    Larimer County recommends legal advice be obtained prior to drafting any legal document. These documents may affect your rights. For information on locating an attorney, please visit the Colorado Bar Association website.

    Additional resources: