Secure and verifiable identification is required on all new titles, duplicate titles, new registrations, new temporary registration permits, and new placards. The identification must be provided by the owner of record or a power of attorney presented by the agent. The agent must have secure and verifiable identification to complete the transaction. Commercially owned or lien holder transactions require a letter of authorization. Upon surrender of the title or the combination title/registration document, the state will issue a Colorado title in approximately eight weeks. If the out-of-state registration only is surrendered, no Colorado title will be issued.

To title a vehicle from another state, the following is required:

  1. Proof of ownership
    • Vehicle title (if in your possession) and your current registration (photocopies not accepted), and a Colorado title will be issued in your name.
    • Current registration - If you do not have the title in your possession (either the title is being held by a lienholder, or in storage), a current registration is acceptable in order to establish a suspense record for you to buy Colorado license plates. Colorado title will not be issued as the out-of-state title is still valid for transfer of ownership or to establish a lien. 
    • Note: It is recommended that the out-of-state title be surrendered. Should the title become lost or destroyed, a duplicate title would be required from the previous state. Some states issue a document that is the title and registration combined. This document is acceptable if it is submitted to our office before the expiration date.
  2. Verification of the Vehicle Identification Number
    • This verification can be made by a licensed dealer, a licensed inspection station or a law enforcement officer. The inspection is annotated on form DR 2698 – Verification of Vehicle Identification. This form is also available at all motor vehicle locations and emission stations. (Exception: Applicant can provide proof that vehicle was purchased as new and can provide a copy of an MSO or purchase receipt from the original dealer.
    • If you are moving from a non-title state, your vehicle may require a certified vehicle identification number inspection or other documents. This procedure may require you to speak with one of our technicians for complete details. Please call our office at (970) 498-7878 to speak with a technician.
  3. Trucks weighing between 4,501 and 10,000 pounds and are being registered for the first time in Colorado, must be accompanied by one of the following documents to certify the weight CRS 42-3-304 (17)(a):
    • Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO).
    • A Valid title which specifies the weight on an in state or out of state title.
    • A correct weight from Vintellegence.
    • A certified weight slip if the truck has been modified by more than 300 pounds.
  4. The back of the form DR 2395 -  Application for Title and/or Registration must be completed by all parties in the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship section.
  5. Date of residency must be established by completing a DR 2504 - Colorado Residency Establishment form.

To also register a vehicle from another state, the following additional information is required:

  1. Emissions tests are required on vehicles registered within designated areas of Larimer County. When a vehicle is registered outside an Emissions area and commutes to the Emissions area for employment or to attend school, an emissions test is required. Please see the Air Care Colorado website for information.
  2. Proof of insurance is required before our office can register any passenger car, motor home, bus, or motorcycle. See insurance requirements
  3. A late fee of $25 per month up to $100 is required on expired registrations, new purchases not registered after 60 days of purchase date, and vehicles registered 90 days after residency is established.