Skip to main content
Traducir al español
Larimer County Transportation Funding

Even with decades of responsible budget management, Larimer County's transportation needs exceed the available funding. Larimer County has a strategic objective to identify a dedicated funding source for transportation improvement projects. Larimer County is considering a sales tax question for the November 2024 election that would offer a dedicated funding source to improve County transportation infrastructure and enhance mobility and access to transit. 

A survey was conducted April 2024 that collected and input from almost 3,600 participants.  A presentation of those results can be found here.



Report an issue

Please use the Report an Issue option to access the Citizen Portal and identify an issue on any Larimer County maintained bridge, sign, traffic, roadway, structure, or stormwater/drainage. 

For emergency issues after hours or on weekends, please contact Larimer County Sheriff’s Dispatch at (970) 416-1985 or dial 911. To download the new Citizen Portal mobile application, please visit the Apple Store or Google Play Store and follow the instructions prompted on your device.

If prompted for an Organization Code, please enter “Larimer”.


Special Transport (Oversize/Overweight) Permit Program

Larimer County’s current special transport permitting procedures have remained relatively unchanged since 1978.  We are updating our County permitting program to be more in-line with the Colorado Department of Transportation’s (CDOT) oversize/overweight permitting system (COOPR) and regulations.

ALL Spotlights Spotlights

Larimer County Road


Community input needed for Larimer on the Move transportation study

Larimer County has launched a new planning study intended to gather vital information from the community on needed transportation improvements, especially for the unincorporated parts of the county.Information from the study, Larimer on the Move, will help develop and prioritize…



Community input needed for Larimer on the Move transportation study

Larimer County has launched a new planning study intended to gather vital information from the community on needed transportation improvements, especially for the unincorporated parts of the county. Information from the study, Larimer on the Move, will help develop and…



Report road issues in unincorporated Larimer County via new citizen request portal

A new website and mobile app launched by Larimer County Engineering and Road and Bridge Departments now makes it easier for residents to report issues and other matters on unincorporated Larimer County roads. Ever seen a nasty pothole or dead animal or encountered a fallen tree…



  1. Why Doesn't Larimer County Maintain My Road?
    Roads & Maintenance

    Larimer County stopped accepting new subdivision roads for maintenance in 1994 due to staffing and financial constraints. Maintenance is limited to surface issues only on subdivision roads that currently have County maintenance.

    Subdivision Road Maintenance

    While the County does provide minimal road surface maintenance to some older subdivisions, the general rule is that neighborhoods are responsible for maintaining their own roads. Maintenance options include:

    • No maintenance.  This is not a good option  as the roads will eventually reach a point of such disrepair that they are no longer safe and the neighborhood can be forced to make repairs.
    • HOA/neighbors work together to maintain the roads. This is a common occurrence on county subdivision roads.
    • Public Improvement District (PID). There are currently 66 PIDs managing 130 miles of road. A public improvement district (PID) is a taxing entity which can finance, construct and maintain public improvements through a tax on properties within the district.  PIDs are a good alternative to finance subdivision road maintenance.


  2. What Are the Differences in Road Classifications?

    The roadway network comprises a hierarchy of roadways defined by their functional classification and how they serve the mobility needs of the users. As mobility increases on a roadway, access decreases; and conversely, as access increases, mobility decreases. The County’s roadway functional classification system has four categories, as described below.

    • Arterials - Arterials carry longer-distance traffic flow for regional, inter-community, and major commuting purposes. Arterials have a limited number of at-grade intersections and, only when other alternatives do not exist, direct property access. Arterials can carry significant traffic volumes at higher speeds for longer distances and are seldom spaced at closer than one-mile intervals. Within Larimer County, any roadway with a possibility of future widening to four lanes is designated as an arterial because of the required right-of-way width.
    • Major Collectors - In an urban context, major collectors are the next highest classification and are higher speed roadways where mobility still takes precedence over access. In a rural context, major collectors can take the place of arterials as the highest classification because the lower vehicular volumes in rural areas do not warrant the arterial classification.
    • Minor Collectors - Minor collectors serve as main connectors between communities and neighborhoods. They distribute traffic between arterials/major collectors and local roads. Most of the traffic on minor collectors has an origin or a destination within the community. Also known as rural secondary facilities, this classification includes most mainline County roads that are not classified as major collectors or arterials.
    • Local Roads - The primary function of local roads is to provide access to adjacent land uses, including residences, businesses, or community facilities. Local streets generally are internal to or serve an access function for a single neighborhood or development. Traffic using local roads typically has a close-by origin or destination. Typically, mainline County roads with a local classification are limited in length and continuity.
  3. Why Aren't Trucks Prohibited on More County Roads?

    The County’s transportation system exists to provide for the efficient movement of citizens, goods, and services. Prohibiting or limiting truck traffic on any county road, except local roads, is uncommon. When looking at a map of the transportation system, one can see the limited routes available, especially in the County north of Fort Collins. 

  4. Can I Get a Permanent Radar Speed Limit Sign on My Street?

    No, currently you can’t.  We are continuing to look at the effectiveness of radar speed limit signs in different settings, but the current research shows that these signs are only effective for short periods of time before drivers start to ignore them.

  5. Do I Need a Permit?

    Right-of-Way (ROW) – A right-of-way construction (utilities) permit is required whenever work is proposed on a county-maintained road (either mainline or subdivision), Public Improvement District (PID) road or within public rights-of-way but outside the roadway platform. 

    Access (Driveway) - An access permit is required whenever a new access is proposed, an existing access is upgraded (paving, new culvert, etc), or a change in use of an existing access (i.e., changing a field access to a residential access, etc.) is requested on a county maintained (either mainline or subdivision) or Public Improvement District (PID) road. 

    Special Transport/Annual Special Transport – A special transportation permit is required when legal limits are exceeded for any given vehicle dimension, loaded or unloaded, traveling on roads in public rights-of-way or that will directly affect the traveling public in Larimer County. An annual special transportation permit may be issued for fleet or heavy agricultural hauls. These permits are issued for travel on roads in unincorporated Larimer County only. 

    Private Road Construction – A private road construction permit promotes a pro-active approach to development of rural properties with the intent to insure property rights are respected and resulting roads and excavations are safe. A private road construction permit is required on any new private road serving more than one residential property.

    The above permits are available for submittal through our on-line portal.

    Development Construction Permit (DCP) – A development construction permit is required in order to coordinate the construction process of development related improvements in Larimer County and assure adequate completion of all improvements required to serve the project. The permit is also used to administer the warranty period and eventual release of warranty collateral. The permit is typically filled out and submitted during a DCP coordination meeting.

    Special Event Permit - A special event permit is required when an event (race, ride, walk, party, etc.) that may affect a Larimer County road or other County property that requires changing, restricting, or adapting the normal use of the road or property.

  6. What is a PID and How Does it Work?

    A Public Improvement District (PID) is a taxing entity which can finance, construct and maintain public improvements.  Also known as General Improvement Districts (GIDs), these are formed to make public improvements through an increase in the mill levy tax to properties that would receive a benefit from the improvement.  Improvements may consist of:

    • fire protection services and facilities
    • grading and paving
    • curbing
    • guttering
    • road maintenance (paved or gravel)
    • sewer drainage collection systems
    • storm sewer drainage systems
    • surface drainage systems

    A PID may be formed to address any type of public improvement service. The predominant use of PIDs in Larimer County is for improvements and maintenance to subdivision roads.

  7. How Do I Get My Neighborhood Set Up As a PID?

    Setting up a PID starts with a phone call to the Larimer County Engineering Department (970) 498-5726. A neighborhood meeting is then held and people who are interested and would be affected by the proposed district can come and learn about it. If your neighborhood is interested in continuing the steps to setting up a PID you will submit an application to the Engineering Department and staff will prepare a plan for the proposed improvements and a petition requesting that the district be formed.  The petition is then circulated and signed by neighbors in the proposed district, who are registered voters in Larimer County, and are in favor of the PID going to election. The petition is filed with the Larimer County Clerk & Recorder for validation. Upon receipt of a valid petition with at least 30% signing in favor, a public hearing is held by the Board of County Commissioners. The Board of County Commissioners may order an election on the proposed district based on the petition and feedback during the hearing. If an election is ordered by the Board of County Commissioners, it must be held in November of that year. The election is a formal election under the election laws of the state. If a simple majority of those who vote are in favor of the proposed district, it is formed.

  8. What is an LID (Can Larimer County Help My Neighborhood Finance a Large, Expensive Sewer/Water System?

    Larimer County’s Local Improvement District (LID) program may be formed to construct improvements and assess the cost upon the property benefited by the improvements. Improvements may consist of many types of improvements that would benefit a neighborhood.  This includes but is not limited to reconstructing or providing major maintenance to subdivision roads including drainage and street lighting. Improvements may also include constructing, installing or improving any system for the transmission or distribution of water or for the collection or transmission of sewage, or both.  A Local Improvement District (LID) allows homeowners to construct and finance a project over a period of time (usually 10 years) so the whole cost of the improvement does not have to be paid at once.

    While the process of creating an LID is similar to creating a PID, it is typically more complicated because of the additional financing requirements.

  9. How Do I Report a Drainage/Flooding Problem?

    It may seem hard to believe that drainage is a problem in a high-desert area such as ours, but it can be. High ground water tables, seepage from irrigation canals, spring rains, late summer monsoons and fast melting snow can all lead to problems if proper drainage is not incorporated into the design of homes and roads.  You can report a drainage or flooding problem though our Citizen Request Portal, click on the “Report a Problem or Drainage Concern” box and complete the information, then click on Submit.

  10. Is My Property in a Floodplain?

    Larimer County Floodplains can be a confusing issue when trying to make changes to your property.  It is important to understand if your property is located in a flood plain and what that means if you want to make changes to your property. 

    To help determine if your property is within a regulatory floodplain, you can contact the Larimer County Engineering Department or view the floodplain boundaries via the County’s interactive map. Floodplain areas designated by FEMA on the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS) are also available online through FEMA’s Map Service Center.

    To view the floodplain information for your property using the County's interactive map, follow the steps below:

    1. Go to the Larimer County Floodplain website
    2. Click the “Online Floodplain Map - Larimer County Land Information Locator” button near the top of the screen
    3. Type your address in the search bar at the top right of the screen, click the search icon. The search results will appear on the left side of the screen. Click the appropriate parcel from the list and the map will zoom into your property.
    4. Click the “Flood” button near the top of the screen if floodplain information is not already displayed
    5. Click the “Layer List” icon near the top left of the screen. A list of map layers will appear below.
    6. Scroll down to the “Floodplain” layer. Check the box next to “2021 FEMA (Preliminary)” to see the preliminary floodplain layer for your area. You can compare this to the current floodplain for your property by checking the “FEMA Floodplain (Current Effective)” on or off.

    There are several flood zones which may apply for your property. Open Section 4 - Floodplain Map & Flood Zones  of the Floodplain Development Guide for a list of flood zone descriptions and typical floodplain regulations that apply within them.  Keep in mind that even if your property is not shown in a regulatory floodplain, it does not mean that there is no risk of flooding. There are many areas in Larimer County that are not shown within a regulated floodplain but have undetermined flood hazards.

  11. What Are Larimer County Road Standards?

    Design requirements for roads and bridges in Larimer County can be found in two different spots:

    If you are doing work within the Loveland or Fort Collins City limits or within their Growth Management Areas (GMAs), use the Larimer County Urban Area Street Standards.  If you are outside the GMAs in unincorporated Larimer County, use the Rural Area Road Standards.

  12. I think the speed limit on County Road XX is too high and I want it lowered. What do I need to do to make that happen and how can I make sure it is enforced?

    Speed limits are set by the County Engineer.  The County Engineer bases their decision on state statutory rules and engineering speed studies that consider numerous criteria.  Many studies have shown that most motorists drive at a speed that they consider safe and reasonable - so arbitrarily lowering speed limits, without consistent enforcement, has little effect on travel speeds.

    Citizens may request increased enforcement of speed limits from the County’s Sheriff Department at 970-498-5547.

    Criteria for Setting Speed Limits (click on the "Speed Limits" button)

  13. People Are Speeding in Our Neighborhood. How Can I Get the Speed Limit Reduced or Get Traffic Calming Measures, Like Speed Humps Installed?

    There is no singular, easy solution to addressing neighborhood traffic speeds and safety. Instead, effective traffic management relies on numerous approaches, both short and long term, and is most successful as a partnership between citizens and the County. 

    Traffic Calming Information

  14. A Sign on My Road is Down or Damaged.  Who do I Call?

    Stop Signs, Yield Signs and Railroad Crossing Signs - during regular business hours, please call the Road & Bridge office at (970) 498-5650. During non-business hours, please call the Sheriff's office non-emergency dispatch at (970) 416-1985 and they will contact our On-Call Manager.

    All other signs, please submit a report to Road & Bridge online or call our office phone at (970) 498-5650 and leave a message.

  15. Where Can I Find Information on Alternative Transportation Such as Buses, Biking, Ride Services, Carpooling?

    Alternative transportation is all modes of travel other than the private motor vehicle.  Regional alternative transportation options for Larimer County include car/van pool, buses and bicycle facilities. Check it out!

  16. Bridges 101

    The State Department of Transportation categorizes structures as major or minor depending on the span length as measured down the centerline of the road. Major structures are those structures that are over 20' in length and minor structure are those structures that are between 4' and 20' in length. 

    Maintenance and repair of these structures include items such as scour protection to ensure stability of the structure and protect them from erosion at the footings; substructure repairs including abutments and piers; super structure repairs including girders/stringers, decks and curbs; ad ridge rail/guard rail. 

    All major structures are inspected on a 2-year cycle and all minor structures are inspected on a 4-year cycle. Maintenance items identified during these inspections are categorized and prioritized and then scheduled to be performed by County crews or contractors.

    Weight Posted Bridges

  17. Private Bridges

    Private bridges and culverts are not maintained by Larimer County.

  18. Road Maintenance & Other Road Information

    Our Road Information Locator provides detail on ownership and maintenance of roads within the county. General instructions to the system are below:

    You can navigate and zoom in on an area using your mouse or search by an address.

    To search by address:

    1. In the Search box in the top right corner, type in your address. As you type, there will be a drop down of addresses that contain your search criteria. 
    2. Click on appropriate address. If you are unsure of exact address, but know the road, type the road name, and select an address on the road.  For a numbered county road (ex. CR 47), type “County Road 47” in search box. On the left side of the screen, you will see results.
    3. Click on the arrow to the right of Tax Parcels
    4. Once parcel information appears, click on the bullseye symbol. This will zoom in on the property.

    After the road is in view on your screen, in the Layers tab, click on Road Maint. 

    Click on the road in the map, an informational box will appear that has maintenance information

  19. Do You Do the Maintenance on Highways and Interstates Such as I-25 and Highway 14/Highway 34?

    No, that would be the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT): (970) 350-2368

  20. Development Review Services
  21. Where Can I Find Contact Information for Irrigation Ditches?

    First, try asking your neighbors for information regarding the ditch company or lateral association in your area. Larimer County also has a directory with contact information for irrigation ditches and laterals.  This information is only as current as the information provided by the ditch/lateral companies. There is also information for many ditch companies online at or through the Colorado Division of Water Resources.

  22. I Heard That the County is Planning to Make Improvements to CR XX.  How Do I Find Out if This is True And if so, Get More Information About the Project?

    The County has a list of active projects that are either in the design or construction phase. If you have questions about a County Road that isn’t listed, please feel free to contact us at 970-498-5730 and we’d be happy to discuss it with you.

Larimer County Engineering Department

Larimer County Engineering Department
200 West Oak Street, Suite 3000
P.O. Box 1190
Fort Collins, CO 80522-1190

(970) 498-5700
Fax: (970) 498-7986
Citizen Request Portal

Hours: 8am to 4:30pm, Monday - Friday

Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) 
Per the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Larimer County will provide a reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with a disability who need assistance. Services can be arranged with at least seven business days' notice. Please email us at or by calling (970) 498-5700 or Relay Colorado 711. "Walk-in" requests for auxiliary aids and services will be honored to the extent possible but may be unavailable if advance notice is not provided.

Top of Page